For I know the plans I have for you…
Have you ever noticed how often God’s plans differ from our own? Many of us learned verses such as Jeremiah 29:11 and Proverbs 3:5-6 when we were in vacation Bible school many years ago. But, let’s be honest. We all, from time to time, naively think that our plans are in harmony with those of the LORD’s.
Such was the case with the Pastor Search Committee when, on April 20, we spent a full day of training with a representative from Vanderbloemen Search Group, a company that specializes in pastoral searches and has been involved in a large number of pastor searches over the past few years. For several hours the team was introduced to a number of process and procedural steps that make up a fully integrated Senior Pastor search. The team entered the training thinking that the search process would be fairly straight forward and that we could manage each step with minimal difficulty. After all, two team members had actually served on pastor search teams with other churches. In short, we thought we had a plan!
But sovereign God had a different strategy. By the end of the training, the team unanimously agreed that the search process would be greatly enhanced with the addition of a professional resource to assist and advise on matters beyond our experience level. Extensive prayer on the matter, along with 100% support from the deacon body, resulted in the decision to engage the Vanderbloemen Search Group to assist in our pastor search.
To be clear, our Pastor Search Team will maintain 100% control of the process. This includes the selection of a short list of candidates to be personally interviewed by the FBCBA Search team, and ultimately, the final recommendation of the top candidate to bring before you for your vote and potential call based on procedures outlined in our FBCBA by-laws.
Areas in which the Vanderbloemen Search Group will provide assistance include:
- Providing greater access to a more extensive pool and network of potential candidates nation-wide
- Allowing the FBCBA Pastor Search Team to devote their time to more value-added components of the search
- Preparing a professional profile of FBCBA in getting our story out to potential candidates
- Taking advantage of the latest social media channels to reach candidates
- Accelerating the vetting process of candidates based on FBCBA guidelines and requirements
- Conducting thorough and comprehensive background checks and personality testing
- Enhancing the likelihood of faithfully and accurately discerning God’s will on the man He wants to succeed Brother Nick as Senior Pastor, FBCBA
Throughout this journey, we are going to experience adjustments and modifications to our processes. If we are truly going to “Trust in the LORD with all our heart and lean not on our own understanding,” then we must be willing to accept His plans, plans that will “give us hope and a future.” (Jer. 29:11)
— Your Pastor Search Team